Sunday, March 30, 2008

THE NEXT STEP

In just a few minutes, I will preach my last sermon (as Senior Pastor) at First Assembly of God, Joliet, IL.

While living and ministering in Seattle, we received a call
to consider coming to Joliet, IL. We prayed, considered and accepted that call.
Now, God has released us from Joliet and we look on this past 10 1/2 years with warm memories.

God has done wonderful things.
So many lives changed.
During that time, the church grew from 720 to over 1400 in attendance.

The mortgage of 1.7 million was paid off and additional land acquired.

At our farewell Saturday night, Pastor Bob Hahn (Family Life Pastor) shared a number of interesting statistics. The one that captured my attention was 5,000 making professions of faith in Jesus Christ during that time. (data was taken from the ACMR's)

The theme verse of my ministry is Ephesians 4:11-13

And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,
for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;

until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.


My mission in life is to
lead God's people to...
EVANGELIZE
To EQUIP God's people, and
ENCOURAGE God's people.

It has been an honor to have been able to lead this fine congregation.
God has great things in store for all of us.

"When I look into the future,
it's so bright it burns my eyes."

3 comments:

peggy said...

Today was wonderful but sad! You did a great job. Many tears were shed . The Holy Spirit was in church too. Joy did a marvelous job on the piano. I do believe God has unbelievable plans for you!! Thank-you, Thank-you Thank-you for always sharing the love of our Lord with everyone. You WILL be missed.

jet said...

Dad I'm so proud of you and Mom. You've lived a consistent model of integrity, honesty, purity and I am so proud you are my dad! I love ya!
and that picture is great. it perfectly depicts your quote!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I loved you sermons. You will be missed. May God Bless you in whatever, you and your family do.