Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Love Your Enemies

Jesus told us to “love our enemies.” (Matthew 5:43-45)

A few days ago, in my time of prayer, I was directed to Psalm 23.

I read through it and personalized it as I read it....

The LORD is Earl's shepherd, I shall not be in want.

2 he makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

4 Even though Earl walks
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

Vs. 5 says,

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.

The Message Bible puts it like this…

You serve me a six-course dinner
right in front of my enemies.

But I began to wonder,

What makes an enemy an enemy?

Do you have to mutually hate each other?

What if you love them, yet they hate you?

If you don’t hate them, nor consider them an enemy, are they still an enemy?

What if you still love them and are still praying for them?

Are they still an enemy? Just a thought....

No comments: