Saturday, July 25, 2009

ABBONDANZA

(close up of my rain gauge)




Did you know that God is a God of generosity and blessing?

Last night I experienced God’s abbondanza. I had just finished mowing the lawn and coming inside our home I mentioned to Joy, “the lawn is really dry, I’m going to ask God for a half an inch of rain.”

We sat down to a tasty meal of pork rib tips, sautéed zucchini from our garden. While Joy was finishing up dinner, I caught the weather report and the forecaster said, “the rain is going to split and go north and south of Chicago. It is unlikely we’ll get any rain here.”

That evening we noticed the weather system that had hammered Iowa (hail, rain and tornado warnings) seemed to be slipping south of us. I said, “God please turn that system and give us some rain.” The longer we watched the radar, the more we rejoiced as we saw the storm literally hook around toward us.

Not too much later, I heard some distant thunder. I looked at Joy and smiled. Before too long, I heard rain hitting the deck and by the time the “non-storm” finished up, we had 8/10 an inch of rain!

Thank you God. My lawn looks lovely now and is watered for the week.

Now, if I can transfer that faith onto the sale of this home in this current drought of a real estate market we are in…. “Thank you God for showing the forecasters wrong and our house selling in a dead market.”

People of Jesus live in FAITH and HOPE.

This is why the Psalms say, "I don't care how bad it is today, I am going to sing in the morning."

Psalm 59
15 They wander about for food
and howl if not satisfied.
16 But I will sing of your strength,
in the morning I will sing
of your love;
for you are my fortress,
my refuge in times of
trouble.
17 O my Strength, I sing praise to you;
you, O God, are my fortress, my
loving God.

No comments: